Going to a concert | A Speaking Activity for Adults

Everybody wants to have fun!

    Hello everyone and welcome back to my blog. Today, I wanted to talk to you about an activity I did a couple of months ago with my adult learners that stuck to them ever since. It was one of the first activities when my A1 students started to speak.

Speaking Activity for Adult or Young Adult Learners | A1 | 15-20 minutes

    This was a vocabulary lesson on musical instruments and music types. And the grammar function focus was on asking someone out.
    I paired the students and gave each one of them one card. 

        Actually, I had 2 pairs and 1 group (3 people) so I had to double the cards by adding a Mozart Concert in 2020 in İstanbul Zorlu Performance Hall. You may do some variations but initially, you get the idea.

    I gave each student one of the cards that have certain questions. The first thing I wanted them to do was a basic information gap activity.

        Then I gave one agenda to each student. This is the most important part because students have to decide which concert they are going to. I distributed the cards randomly so I didn't know who goes where. And, in the end, they asked their friend "Would you like to go to X?" And, if they liked the concert they have based on their free day, they would say "Yes" or "No".

        It was a fun activity for me too because I love personalizing materials according to the context my students are in. İbrahim Tatlıses is a very popular artist here in Turkey that's why I included him with "his saz friends". Also, Türkü Bar is a location that everyone is familiar with. If I gave them a jazz concert at a restaurant as a context, my students wouldn't have related to it. Right now after almost 3 months, we are in the A2 class together and we still joke about who goes to İbrahim Tatlıses concert during Covid in a Türkü Bar.

        I hope you find inspiration to create something different in your own classes after these kinds of activities. Please let me know and don't forget to comment down below!


Yorumlar

  1. Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it. SIOP Feature 7 Explicitly link concepts to students' backgrounds & experiences

    YanıtlaSil

Yorum Gönder